Skip to main content

An open letter to my kids about their police Dad


Hi loves,

I know that this is a scary time for you all.  I saw your face this morning, my sweet firstborn, as the news anchor on the television told you that another police officer was killed and one is in the hospital today.  Forever I will remember the words you said the morning that you saw on the news that five Dallas police officers were killed.  You looked over at me and said, “Mommy, Daddy is a  police officer. I don’t want Daddy to die.”  I am sorry that I didn’t turn the news off sooner.  I am sorry you heard what they were saying.  The last thing I want is for you to be afraid.

I need for you to know, first of all, how brave your Daddy is.  You already know, of course, how much he loves you.  You know him as the man who takes you to the playground and to catch fish at the creek.   The man who will jump with you into the pool.  The man who will make a bowl of popcorn, watch a Disney movie with you and sing every word to all of the silly songs.  The man who will read you stories and pray with you before bed. You know already that you have a good Dad.

Do you know also that Daddy loves his job?  That even though it is a scary time to be a police officer, he is grateful to do it?  Your Daddy is a man who knows when there is a job to be done and is a man who is willing to do it.  He feels a sense of responsibility to the community he works for.  He feels a sense of responsibility to the police men and women that he works with.  You know how Daddy loves us and we are his family?  Daddy has a work family too.  One that he loves and one that loves him back.  Those people that Daddy works with, do you know that they care for you too?  How lucky are we that your Daddy works with people that care so much for all of us?  I hope you are proud of the police family that we belong to.

Your Daddy and his friends are good.  They care for people that they don’t even know.  They chose this job to protect and serve EVERYONE. How cool is that?

It is extraordinary, what they do.  Always know that.  It’s important, it’s noble, and the courage it requires is extraordinary.  Nothing less.

As I said to begin with, I know it is a scary time.  I want to be honest and tell you all that I am sometimes afraid too.  I love your Daddy with all that I am.  I want for him to come home to us every night.  I love your Daddy’s police friends too and I want for them to also return to their families every night.

We have seen in the news a lot lately that some officers do not go home at the end of their shift to their families.  It is very sad.  Sometimes it makes Mommy cry.  But then, we pray.  We pray for those who lost their lives and we pray for their families.  We ask for God to protect officers who are out there serving every day.  And we gain peace from our prayers. 

Kids – now and in every situation I need for you to remember to focus on Jesus.  It doesn’t matter what happens or how bad things get.  He has already overcome the whole world with His cross and resurrection.  We have this amazing truth and hope in Him.  Nothing, I mean NOTHING, can separate us from His love.  No matter what, even when things get scary, I need for you to remember that.  I want for you to all have peace in Him.

I love you all more than can be measured.  You bring so much joy to me, and to your awesome, brave police-Daddy.  You know that though, right?



Until next time….

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

A different kind of workout motivation.

  Have you ever googled “workout motivation”? Oh, I have. I sometimes wish that motivation was something I could bottle up and take a big gulp of. I want to WANT to work out, but sometimes I just don’t. Know what I mean? I want all that comes with exercise. I want to feel good, I want the health benefits and I want to like the way I look in my clothes. I want the stress relief that it promises. The endorphins. I want to BE fit. But, you know, I don’t always want to do what it takes to be fit. They say motivation doesn’t last, and that’s true. That is why exercise has to become a habit in your life. You have to be disciplined. There is no getting around that. There is no easy button. But, there are some nudges that can be found if we look for them. I am always inspired by the busiest people I know who are also the most fit. Active moms being one example of this demographic, I wrote about them a while back during the craziness of 2020 (that blog post can be found here http://myon

The antidote

  At our Parish, before Mass, we introduce ourselves to those sitting around us and we ask for their prayer intentions. (I know, I know. This makes so many of us uncomfortable. But this can be really powerful, too. We were made for community and when you really think about this it IS a good thing.) Yesterday I turned around and met Janet, an elderly woman with a warm smile who I had not met before. Her prayer request was for those who are suffering from loneliness during this holiday season. I told her that I would pray for that intention during Mass, and I did. Then I went about the rest of my day. This morning after school drop off Janet and her request popped into my mind.   I know that this time of year can be incredibly difficult for those who are lonely. I said a little silent prayer again for the lonely, and then yesterday’s gospel reading came into my mind.   In case you missed it, the gospel yesterday: Matthew 25:31-46. Jesus said to His disciples: “When the Son of