Skip to main content

On death and what matters



This past Saturday my family and I drove from Austin to Lubbock for my husband’s paternal grandfather’s funeral.

Jerry and Henrietta Decker

Now, what I personally knew of Grandpa Decker is that he gave big, strong bear hugs every single time I saw him, and that he had a kind smile on his face when he would watch my children – his great-grandchildren – run around and play.  What I knew of him from my husband, is that he was a hard-working man who found the time and energy to play with my husband and his siblings when they would come and visit him as children, even after a long day of farming.

This hard work I mentioned – Grandpa Decker farmed cotton.  It was undeniably hard work and he had a work ethic that has been inherited by his children and his grandchildren.  I’ve always said that one of the first traits I was attracted to upon meeting my husband was his drive.  My husband is still the most hard-working man I know, but more than that – he is grateful for his work.  He will regularly work overtime to provide for our family, and he never complains.  The only thing you’ll ever hear him say about his overtime is that he is grateful to God for the opportunity to provide for his family.  This tenacity and willingness to work can be seen in my husband and his siblings, who first saw it in their parents, who first saw it in their parents. I pray to reflect that onto our children now as well.



Grandma and Grandpa Decker were married 57 years at the time of his death and she lives in the same house they moved into when the youngest of their six children was in the third grade.  We went to the house after the funeral reception – my children jumped on the very same trampoline that my father-in-law (the eldest of the Decker six) jumped on when HE was a child! I watched them as I sat on the back porch and said a prayer of gratitude for these roots my children are so blessed to have.
Grandma Decker and her six children, at Grandpa's funeral reception
There were several difficult moments during this past weekend, of course. It was heartbreaking to see the pain and tears of Grandpa’s children and his grand-children as they mourned his death.  Even one of my children cried at his viewing – death is never easy to acknowledge and yet here we all were, saying goodbye to this man who was dearly loved and will be sorely missed.

There was something more though, and something bigger than the difficult moments.  There were moments of peace.  The kind priest who led us in the rosary the night before the funeral reminded us of who Grandpa Decker was – yes, he was a husband, a father, a grandfather, a great-grandfather. Yes, he was a farmer.  The priest reminded us, however, that first he was a baptized member of the Body of Christ – and now would be joined with Him in Heaven.  HOME.  He is home.  He reminded us of our own mortality and that this world we are living in is temporary.  What Grandpa Decker has now is eternal.  What he has now is what we all long for at the end of our lives – true rest in peace. Our faith in this promise makes us unafraid. 



Though it is sad that we no longer have Grandpa Decker with us on this Earth, it is comforting to know where he is now, and that we have the intercession of his prayers on our behalf.  We have the memories of his life, and the legacy he left behind, and those gifts are immeasurable.  What a blessing Grandpa Decker was, and still is, even in his death.



Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed reading your post on Jerry Decker and his family. He was well liked by his In-laws also.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door