Skip to main content

I’ll just be vulnerable for a minute.


Because writing can be therapeutic. 

Because Anne Lamott told me I could.



Because I’m equal parts sad and angry right now.  No, more angry than sad.

I’m also a little envious, and I know that envy is bad.  Really bad.  But if you have a mother that you have a good or even decent relationship with, I’m a little jealous right now.

I’m also frustrated.  And at a loss.  And sharing this if I get brave enough because WHY? I don’t know yet. I can find solidarity with others, maybe? Someone will have a magic answer on what to do?

I AM THE DAUGHTER OF AN ADDICT.  There.  I said it.  I never wish to share this.  I never wish to say negative things about the woman who birthed me.  And here we are . . .

This addict had open-heart surgery on October 11th.  Oh, she nearly died.  She had to be care-flighted from one hospital in Fort Worth to another in Dallas after a torn aorta was discovered.  It was rough, and she ended up having a second surgery, but she survived.

Then the withdrawals began.  I knew my mother had a problem.  I did not know to what extent.  I still do not know everything – what I do know is this: she was hallucinating, experiencing tremors and had to be restrained because she became too combative.  My mom.  Restrained at a hospital.  Because why?  Her addictions.
Guess who gets to experience the hurt from all of this? Her daughters. Yeah. I'm the eldest of four girls.
My sisters and I, circa 1990, 91?


She detoxed, finally.  But she’s still very confused. Mentally lost.  I just spoke with her on the phone today – she is not all there.  I do not recognize this person.  But to be honest, I haven’t for years.  I haven’t had a good relationship with my mom for YEARS.  Because why?  Her addictions.

And now? The hospital plans to release her soon.  WHERE TO? A homeless shelter, if a family member does not take her in.  Because she was unemployed, with no insurance, and has nothing.  Nothing.  My mom does not have a home. Because why? Her addictions.

I will not allow my mother to go to a homeless shelter and neither will my sisters.  We are currently working something out, which looks like her coming to my home.  I am raising six children, so have NO IDEA how this will work, but I am also still her daughter.  And she is still my mother.  And I will not send her to a homeless shelter after open-heart surgery and withdrawals. 

She can’t walk or bathe without assistance, and she’s still out of her mind.  Her neurologist is unsure if she will ever be in the right mind again or not.

You know what caused this?  Her addictions.

I’m angry with her.  I’m the child in this scenario, not the parent – yet I am going to have to take care of her.  This is not the order of things. This is not fair.

Is this wrong – all I’ve said thus far?  I’m praying a lot – I know God is asking me to put aside my pride.  I know that. I’m working on that. Pray for me.

I also know He is helping me because I have the very best friends checking in on me, making sure I’m okay, and He gave me a husband who looked me in the eyes just today and said “I’m with you. Whatever you need to do for your Mom, I’m on board,” FULLY knowing the burden it will be on him as well.

I know God is with me when He shows me what I have with my children – oh, my, how I’ve been blessed in that department. My children can be trying at times, don’t get me wrong. But they are one of the biggest sources of the joy I experience daily.  And speaking of my children -  I AM GIVING MY CHILDREN WHAT I BELIEVE EVERY CHILD DESERVES. A mother who is committed to putting them first, not me.  I am not my mother. I will never be my mother. 

But I am still a daughter.  I still have to be there.  I still love her because she birthed me, raised me, comforted me when I was a child.

Unless disability kicks in before next week, which is highly unlikely, I’ll soon be caring for my mother.  An addict and post open-heart surgery patient. 

If you’ve read up to this point, thanks. I appreciate you letting me vent to you in a sense. 

Also, pray for us?  All of us? My mom – my sisters and their families – my family . . . we can use them like crazy right now. Please. Just take one second and pray for us.

I am angry, yes.  But more than ever – God’s grace is present. I still feel it.  I will never deny that.

This too will pass – right?







Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. I'll be praying for you and I admire your strength SO much. You're an inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We face so many hardships when we get older. Things we never thought we would ever need to worry about. I hope you find peace in the years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. You are a fighter and you are mighty. You will get through this. Never feel guilty for how you are feeling. Your feelings are real and warranted. I will be thinking of you, your Mom, and the rest of your family during this transition. Go with your gut and do what feels right, and keep your boundaries firm. Thank you for sharing your story and helping others that are in the same spot realize, this isn't a silent fight alone. You are setting a tremendous example for your children and your Mom. In some capacity, she will notice. I hope she recovers swiftly, and welcomes the help that she is receiving and gets sober. One day at a time. Much love to you, sister. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door