Skip to main content

My thankful post


Thanksgiving is tomorrow . . . WHAT?! Time continues to get weirder as I age.  (It sounds as if I’m calling myself old in that last sentence. I’m not. 35 is still totally young. Right?)  Time is moving so quickly I feel I can hardly keep up.

But here we are, and as I was reflecting earlier on what I’m thankful for this year, I decided I wanted to share it. I’m thankful for a whole lot, but I’ll break down the big things here:

First – The number one spot always has to go to God, my creator and the one whose grace sustains me even on the worst of days. My life is His, my hope rests in Him and He is so, so good.  




Second – my husband, Michael, of course! We started dating in 2004, were married in 2008, had our first baby in 2009 and five more by 2015.  He is the hardest worker that I know (literally as I type this- he is working a double overtime shift for our family.) He is still my favorite person.  He is the best Dad – I keep saying I’m going to write about that, actually . . . I need to . . . I could not have dreamt up a better father for my children than him.  He still makes me laugh, and he is still the person I want to spend time with more than anyone else. He puts up with me, and that is sometimes a very hard job – but he does it.  To say that I love him doesn't feel like enough.  I thank God for him.
April 12, 2008

Last Friday night

Third – you knew I was going to say the kids, right? I don’t know why I’ve been given six healthy children.  I don’t understand it.  But I do know and understand the weight of the blessing and there is not a day that goes by in which I do not thank Jesus for this life with them.  They are beautiful, and smart, and kind, and mine.
Our most recent camping trip

Fourth – our families. Michael’s family all lives nearby.  His parents just had the kids this past weekend –giving us two kid-free nights.  His parents do this willingly and joyfully, and I know this isn’t the case with every set of grandparents! Not only is his family a blessing to us but they are a blessing to our children.  My family is not so close, but my heart is still with them.  The times that I do see my siblings or my nieces and nephews is so, so sweet. I am thankful for each and every one of our family members.
Cousins from Michael's side

Cousins from my side

Fifth – my friends. I almost feel this should be higher on my list. I have the best friends, and I’m not kidding.   I have the kind of friends who have dropped diapers AND beer off on my doorstep when I’ve had a newborn. I have the kind of friends who have helped me travel to a Navy reunion when I didn’t have the funds.  I have the kind of friends who have encouraged me on the 7th mile of a long run to finish strong, as our toddlers are being pushed in running strollers.  I have the kind of friends who have texted me to let me know they’re praying for me. Yeah.  I could go on with this one for a while, actually.  Maybe this needs to be a later blog post.  Suffice it to say for now – I’m beyond thankful for my friends.
A dinner with friends

My last one might sound a little strange – but I’m thankful for the struggles in my life.  Okay.  Not always.  Sometimes I wish things could be easier.  Like when it takes 20 minutes to get out the door once I thought my kids were dressed and ready – because of a missing shoe, or because a kid has to go to the bathroom last minute, or a few of them are fighting and by the time I get all six in the van and buckled I’m EXHAUSTED and do not know how I’ll actually run the errand we just got in the vehicle to do.  Yeah. I do it anyway. And I feel strong.  Sometimes I wish it could be easier when I’m dealing with all of these crazy hard feelings that come with my relationship with my mother (not going to re-hash all of that here. Too long of a story. Revert back to the blog post before this, if you’re curious.) It’s hard on me, and I want it to be easier.  I want a normal, healthy relationship with her.  But it isn’t there.  It may never be there.  Despite this hurt and void I feel from that, I get by.  I try to turn the negative energy into good and focus on my own kids.  And I feel strong. I was about to conclude this paragraph – but I can’t help but share with you that my five-year-old son just came in my room to complain about one of his sisters. He tried to stand on the bottom of my computer chair, slipped (of course) and cut his neck on the edge of my desk.  I’m not making this up! (He is fine, in case you’re wondering.) This added to the struggle of finishing a blog post! But I helped him out, and I’m back to finish what I started.  And I feel strong.   I could make this particular part of my thankful list longer and explain in detail other struggles I have, but I really don’t need to, do I? To be human is to struggle.  We all have our sad stories and we all have our daily obstacles to tackle. But if I’m being completely honest about it all – I feel the hard stuff, the hard times – they make me so much stronger than before.  So, as crazy as it sounds, I’m thankful for the hard. Romans 5:3-5 is a favorite of mine these days.  

I’ll end this with saying that I’m thankful for YOU for making it this far in reading my blog post, and I hope that today or tomorrow you make your own list of what you’re thankful for. I pray you have a very Happy Thanksgiving and wonderful Christmas season. 








Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door