Skip to main content

It all fits together


This past weekend I attended my third annual reunion with my best Navy friends – girls that I was stationed with fifteen years ago at Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 (HM-15) which was located at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, TX at the time (it has since moved to Norfolk, VA.) 

Some backstory on my journey to HM-15: I initially joined the Navy with the hopes of becoming a Navy JO (journalist.) I liked to write (is it obvious that I still do?)  I also was the editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper and loved it, so I wanted to continue writing in that capacity. I was told by my recruiter that the JO rate was closed, and I would have to join as something else.  Okay. I still wanted to join the Navy, so I asked the career counselor assisting me at MEPS (military entrance processing center) if he had any ideas of something exciting. “Aircrew.” He told me. “Sign me up!” I said. It sounded VERY exciting. I was game.  Months later I found myself in boot camp, set to be an aircrewman.  I graduated boot camp and was sent to Pensacola, Florida immediately following for aircrew training.  Well, JO didn’t work out, and aircrew wouldn’t either, not for me.  I’d arrived to Pensacola after boot camp with tendonitis in both feet and was deemed NPQ’d (not physically qualified) for aircrew training.  Okay. Another setback. No problem. I sat in front of another career counselor after my NPQ paperwork was received and he informed me of a couple of aviation rates available.  I could choose one of those, or go into the fleet undesignated, which he certainly did NOT recommend. It would be wiser to choose a rate, he said.  I heard what he was saying, but for some reason I couldn’t identify then, I was unable to settle on a rate.  I would go to sea duty as an undesignated airman, I decided. The career counselor shook his head as he wrote on some paperwork in front of him and just said, “Okay, then. Undesignated it is.” Then I was instructed to create a wish list with my first three choices of where I would like to be assigned.  I turned it in, and waited.  I can still clearly see the First Class Petty Officer holding a clipboard as I stood in a muster line a couple of weeks later yelling out, “Kolster – HM-15.” My orders were in. “Where is HM-15, Petty Officer?” I asked her. “Corpus Christi, Texas,” she answered.  My third choice. Oh well, I thought. I arrived at HM-15 in September of 2003.  I can say with certainty now that it was exactly where I was meant to be.

Fast forward to the present.  These Navy friends of mine – we now live in Austin, Houston, Denver and Portland.  Two years ago, we met in Panama City, Florida.  Last year we went back to where it all began in Corpus Christi, Texas.  And this past weekend we met at the home of one of the girls in Portland, Oregon. 
Panama City, Florida, Summer 2017

Corpus Christi, TX (in front of the old HM-15 hangar!)Summer 2018

Multnomah Falls, Oregon June 2019




It was my first time to Oregon and this Texas girl was nervous it would be too cold for my taste, even in June.  But it was beautiful!  We ended up being blessed with the perfect weather.  We ate (a LOT of amazing food), we hiked, we went whale watching and we met up with two other HM-15 girls the last evening who live near enough by for a drive up.

We reminisced and I thought back to that group of young sailors we were then.  All in our twenties, all carefree and mortgage free.  I told one of the girls “can you imagine going back to HM-15, those days we were there, and having someone tell you that we’d meet up like this all of these years later?” She laughed, and then said the thought was going to make her cry.  I pondered that for a while – what I would have thought then about my life now.  And what a relief it would have been to know that I would stay in touch with these friends who felt like family to me.  Friends I not only worked with at HM-15, but who I lived with in the barracks.

Would the younger me believe who I would become? Wife to a man I met while serving in Corpus – mom to his six children – a published author who never did get to become a Navy JO but who would return to writing anyway? I probably would not have believed that back then.

All of this looking back has me seeing all of these puzzle pieces fitting together in my life in a way only God could have orchestrated. He put the military on my heart when I was 18 for a reason.  He put me in Corpus for a reason.  He’s paved this way for me that at times hasn’t always made sense to me – but looking in the rearview mirror now it is crystal clear.

I was supposed to go to HM-15.  I was supposed to build those friendships that have stood the test of time (and distance!)  I was supposed to share those times with them and am blessed to have the reunions now so we can all be nostalgic together.

I was supposed to meet my husband there and begin what has been the greatest adventure of my life since marrying him and beginning our family.

I am happy to go on these getaways with my Navy girls and happy to remember who we all were back then and laugh at the memories. Happier still am I to return home to my family and the life I have today.

I’m so grateful for it all.  Thank God for the paths placed in front of me (to include the detours) and for the one I walk on now.

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Christy, I don’t know how you put feelings into words but you are fantastic at it, gives me chills! I love your true stories, you should write a true story some day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A different kind of workout motivation.

  Have you ever googled “workout motivation”? Oh, I have. I sometimes wish that motivation was something I could bottle up and take a big gulp of. I want to WANT to work out, but sometimes I just don’t. Know what I mean? I want all that comes with exercise. I want to feel good, I want the health benefits and I want to like the way I look in my clothes. I want the stress relief that it promises. The endorphins. I want to BE fit. But, you know, I don’t always want to do what it takes to be fit. They say motivation doesn’t last, and that’s true. That is why exercise has to become a habit in your life. You have to be disciplined. There is no getting around that. There is no easy button. But, there are some nudges that can be found if we look for them. I am always inspired by the busiest people I know who are also the most fit. Active moms being one example of this demographic, I wrote about them a while back during the craziness of 2020 (that blog post can be found here http://myon