Skip to main content

We do hard things! Active moms share their ‘whys’ and 'hows' for their fitness routines.





“I wish I worked out less.”
“I wish I wasn’t so fit.”
“I wish I didn’t like exercise as much as I do.”

Have you ever heard these statements from anyone? No? Neither have I.

Those who live active lifestyles typically want to remain active, or get even more active, never less. It isn’t any wonder why. Science tells us that exercise is highly beneficial not only for our physical health, but for our mental health as well. 

Most of us are fully aware of the multitude of benefits we can receive from having an active lifestyle. So what is the difference between those who work out regularly, and those who don’t?
Mindset, of course. You have to want the active lifestyle more than you want whatever is keeping you from it.

Active mothers are an especially interesting group. Moms tend to be so busy taking care of everyone and everything else around them that it is hard to understand how they could add fitness routines to their lives. But talk to any active mom and they will tell you – working out regularly helps their motherhood. 

I actually talked to five different mothers and found out their ‘whys’ and their ‘hows’ for their fitness lives. As an active mom myself, my goal here was to motivate readers to get moving.
We are living in a stressful time. My sincere hope is that this blog post motivates you to implement some healthy self-care in to your life.

Meet my active mom friends, and find out what drives them to be fit!

Syreeta, homemaker and mother of three, Round Rock, TX
“When I started, [working out regularly] it was helping with my mental and emotional health, as I needed an outlet for personal time while caring for my family. Eventually, I fell in love with pushing my body and the physical aesthetic that came along with it.”
Follow Syreeta on Instagram! @madame_re_re
“I’m often asked how I found the strength or energy to make changes to my lifestyle after the babies. And, honestly, it took getting up and pursuing fitness to give me the strength and energy to keep going. I suffered from depression after my third child. I needed something just for me that helped me feel more like myself and improve my appearance that I was less than enamored with at the time. So for two hours at the gym, I could tune out the world, turn up my music (not kidz bop or Sesame Street), and burn off some really good energy. It was the best ever!”

Syreeta brought up that a part of her motivation was improving her appearance that she was “less than enamored with” before. There is a big vanity argument to working out. It would be dishonest to leave it out of a fitness post. Looks are not everything, of course. But they are a driving force in the desire to be fit. I don’t know anyone who wants to look in the mirror and be unhappy with their reflection. When I first met Syreeta, it was at the gym. She wears crop tops and I told her that maybe one day I would have abs like hers, if I continue working out like I do! I told her how motivating it was to see her because she has serious definition in her core and you can tell just how hard she works by looking at her. Syreeta was gracious enough to share with me that she didn’t always feel the way that she feels now.
Check out Syreeta’s transformation:
If this isn't motivating, I don't know what is. Syreeta is a force!

Selina,  home-school teacher and mother of three, Leander, Texas
“I know I am more emotionally stable and have increased peace when I exercise regularly. My mood is always more predictable when I prioritize time to move my body and elevate my heart rate.”
“When I came to the doctor after the birth of our second child, he could tell by my symptoms and mental state that I had postpartum depression. He wrote on a Rx pad that I needed a gym membership to guarantee regular exercise.  He knew that daily walks with a stroller were not going to be adequate enough to give my body and mind the healing and care they required. After two weeks of daily workouts, I felt like a new person. It was life changing. I never stopped training after that time in my life. Daily exercise is a priority in my calendar.”


Jill, part-time environmental engineering consultant and mother of three, Hutto, Texas
“Exercising is really for my mental health. I notice when I don’t exercise, I tend to lack motivation to do the things I need to and I just don’t feel as up beat. The days I manage to exercise (earlier the better) tend to go much better!”
“I just get up and workout before I can start making excuses. If I put it off until later in the day, it gets that much harder to get it done. I know that I will always feel better after I get the workout done. I’ve never regretted a work out!”

Audrey, partner trainer at Camp Gladiator, CPT and mother of four, Hutto, Texas
“My family and my friends are my why. Staying fit helps me with stress and my mental health. I feel happy when I’m in shape and I want to live a long healthy life for my kids and my spouse.”
Follow Audrey on Instagram! @audreyclairefitmom
“Once I get in a few workouts I feel energized by them, I crave them and I look forward to them as both a break and a stress release. I also am motivated to be fit and healthy which keeps me eating healthy and getting in workouts. I like to be happy with what I see in my pictures. My life can get very stressful and overwhelming – exercise makes me happy and that is motivating!”


Rebecca, Ohio Dominican University student (pursuing master’s) and mother of two, Columbus, Ohio
“I feel that if I didn’t stay active during this time that I would probably go crazy. I am a very extroverted person and I love being around people. I am currently in PA school and we were pulled from our clinical rotations when the stay at home order was put out. I went from hardly ever being at home, to being home ALL the time. Not to mention our university decided to give us a bunch of busy work for the time being, plus I found myself trying to teach a freshman and a fifth grader to do their work. It was an interesting first few weeks and many frustrating tears were shed from all in this house. But, I did find that the mornings I would get up and workout it really put me in a better mood and I felt like I had more patience throughout the day.”
“I have found a new love for running on my own. There is something to be said about getting outside and feeling the fresh air in your face and free time to clear your mind.”




It turns out, fitness is not only a crucial form of self-care for us moms (which in itself trickles down to be a benefit to our children) but it is also a wonderful example for our kids. Naturally, we want for our children to lead healthy, fulfilling lives not only while they are in our care but beyond the nest as well. How are we teaching them that?



“When I see [my kids] making good food choices, and trying to join in while I’m exercising, I know I’m going something right. And for that, for them, and for myself, I’ll continue to make better choices.”
 -Syreeta

“I love being a good example to my kids. They enjoy working out with me and they see the importance of fitness – a value I want them to hold throughout their lives.”
Audrey

“I love that my kids see me working hard with my fitness goals and achieving them. After my knee injuries I had gained quite a bit of weight. I set a goal after I was healthy to lose the weight I had gained. It wasn’t easy . . . it was much easier to put on than to get off. But, with a lot of discipline and hard work I was able to lose 35 pounds! My kids watched as I went through that journey and they were able to celebrate with me when I hit my goal. Seeing them excited that I was able to reach my goal only motivated me to set more! I love that I can show them what hard work can do!”
-Rebecca



So, how do these moms do it? What are their routines? Covid-19 has closed gyms and changed all of our lives. Here are these fit moms answers to their ‘hows’ before and after this change.

Syreeta
Before covid-19:  “I went to the gym three days a week for at least an hour.” After covid-19: “Now . . . I try to do 20-30 minutes of HIIT, [high intensity interval training] three days a week and add random light weightlifting with dumbbells as often as I can. I would much rather go to the gym. I love lifting heavy weights! But I just try to do what I can while we shelter in place. It doesn’t always feel as productive, but it’s better than nothing.”

Selina
Before covid-19: “I was signed up for a training program that included HIIT training, cycle classes, and weight lifting.” After covid-19: “Daily walks, resistance band training, online TKD classes, bike riding.”

Jill
Before covid-19: “I went to the gym and participated in group fitness cardio and weight lifting classes. I became part of a core group of girls that went to the gym together. We took classes together pretty much 5-6 days a week; mostly in the mornings after the kids and husband went to school and work.” After covid-19: “Now that the gyms have been closed, I’ve been taking cardio and weight lifting classes online through a streaming service. I meet with my gym girls about once a week for a social-distance legit run or cardio routine. I’ve realized how much working out at a gym or with friends motivated me now that I have to do this on my own. Now I get up really early to get my workout in before 8 when [my husband] ‘goes to work’ in our home office and its time to help the kids with school.”

Audrey
Before covid-19: “I would go to Camp Gladiator workouts – usually in the morning at 8:30 after dropping my older kids off at school. I would have my two youngest with me. Baby in the stroller and the older one would exercise next to me or play next to me on the adjacent playground. I would also go to the gym occasionally and utilize the childcare or go for a jog with baby in a jogging stroller.” After covid-19: “Now I’m actually working out a lot more! I don’t have to pack up the kids to go anywhere – I just go out to my garage and do a virtual Camp Gladiator workout in the morning before kids are awake or during the day at naptime. I have gone on a few walks and jogs and also stay active during the day with the kids playing, cleaning, and having fun in the backyard.”

Rebecca
Before covid-19: "Funny story - I had knee injuries that required surgery that kept me from being too active for almost all of 2019. So, at the beginning of 2020 I was feeling healthy and strong and was finally able to get back to working out. I was involved in a mom's running group where we would meet a few days a week in the morning for a 3-5 mile run and then get coffee afterwards. It was great, you get a good  workout in, plus a therapy session with your friends. Finding a group [like that] has made a huge impact on my life. It's a group of women supporting other women. I have met so many wonderful ladies in this group, who have changed my life in so many ways. I am grateful and I hope that others have groups like this in their area and are able to find as much motivation and joy from it as I have. I also had a CrossFit membership where I would go to 5am workouts 3-4 times weekly. I loved the camaraderie that the gym provided, and I also loved the weight lifting aspect of CrossFit." After covid-19: " At first when the stay at home order was put out and the gyms closed, I felt a little defeated. I was just getting back into working out and I was worried that this was going to be a set back. I knew I could still run in my neighborhood, but I was worried about running alone. I had been running with friends for a long time and I was worried I wouldn't have the motivation to run alone. But, after the first few days of quarantine I decided I'd keep a schedule and make sure I made time for me to workout. I get up at 5:30am and I either run or makeup a workout that I can do in my basement with the gym equipment I have at home. Thankfully I was an exercise science major and I had to create several group workout classes during my time in undergrad. I had accumulated quite a bit of workout equipment, like TRX, bands and dumbbells. I've even being doing box jumps, but instead of having a box I jump up on the stairs."

Has this virus given you MORE free time? This may be just what you needed to get started in your own fitness journey. 


Misery enjoys company, y’all. But so does happiness. Active people want others to be active too. This is why you might see people sharing their walks, virtual workouts or their run routes on your social media feeds. They want for you to join them. They want for you to share how you are being active, too. It is a way of connectedness in this new normal of closed gyms and staying home all of the time. It is solidarity.

If you’ve been looking for a sign that YOU need to start getting up and moving more, HERE IS YOUR SIGN. Start today. No, seriously. Start today.

Your heart and your mental state will thank you immensely. 

Tell me, how will you jump-start your active lifestyle? With a walk/jog? With a YouTube workout? Feel free to comment below and allow us all to cheer you on. You are about to make yourself so proud!



Until next time . . .
True story - I'm off to work out after hitting POST. Tell me in the comments how you will move your body today. Huge thanks to Syreeta, Selina, Jill, Audrey and Rebecca for sharing with all of us. And thanks to YOU for reading my post today! <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door