Skip to main content

A tale of two mornings


 

Morning one

5:15 am Alarm goes off. First things first, COFFEE. Strong coffee. The smell alone motivates me to move. I pour a cup and start scrolling on my phone. My Facebook feed has some things that make me smile. It also has some posts that make me cringe. Why all the negativity, Facebook? It’s too early for politics. A sad news story comes up about a missing child and makes me wonder why there is so much bad in the world. I don’t understand.

6:00 comes quick. My quiet alone time with my coffee is over. Time to get the kids up. We do this every single weekday, yet somehow my children act as if we don’t. I repeatedly go in rooms and start out nicely saying “it’s time to wake up, and get dressed, and eat breakfast”… but nice doesn’t cut it, so I morph in to lunatic mom. “I said, WAKE UP! NOW! OUT OF BED! We CANNOT BE LATE!” It’s too early to yell and now I’m irritated. The mood seeps out of me and into my kids. I’m snapping at everything.

7:00 am we need to be out the door now. I’m yelling again. “WHERE IS YOUR LUNCH BOX? WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE YOUR WATER BOTTLE?” Kids shuffle out the door and into the van. They are fighting over seats. Why? Why does the simple task of leaving our house feel this stressful? We barely make it on time. I wave goodbye to my kids and get started on my drive back home.  Why is every driver on the road so rude and on my tail? Can’t they see I’m going over the speed limit already? Why am I hitting every red light? I have work to do.

8:00 am I’m at my desk and I counted, I have 67 unread work emails. 67. I have a zoom call at 9:00 and 1:00. I won’t have time for a lunch time workout today. There is no way. I need the workout, but whatever. I need to get all of these emails tended to as quickly as possible or the weight of the undone will stress me out too much. I also have laundry that I SHOULD be able to do, I work from home! Why can’t I get this together? Other moms are so much better organized than I am. It’s embarrassing.

11:00 am I’ve managed to respond to most of my emails, I feel a bit caught up! Whew! My zoom call went okay. I could probably squeeze in a workout if I choose to eat lunch at my desk. But…. Nah. I’ve been stressed out. I want to just veg out with a quick show while I eat. What reality show can I catch up on from Hulu while I stuff my face?

12:00 and it’s time to get back to work. I over ate and I’m stuffed. I start to regret not working out. I didn’t even enjoy the trash reality show I just wasted an hour of my life on. What is wrong with me?

 

Morning two

5:15 am alarm goes off. Ahhh – coffee awaits. I sit with the warm cup of liquid comfort and open the Laudate app on my phone. I read today’s scripture. I check out the reflections. It's as if they are catered just to me. Wow. I pray.

6:00 am comes quickly. Time to wake the kids. I notice as I walk into the big girls’ room that they listened to me after all and cleaned up their room last night. It looks nice. I look at their sleeping faces before saying anything – they look so peaceful! I hate to have to wake them. “Time to wake up, girls. I know waking up isn’t easy but you’ve got this. Come on.”

Some nudging ensues but before I know it all six kids are up and I haven’t yelled once. Not once! They are all going through the motions – getting dressed, getting their bellies full, brushing their teeth. It’s pleasant around here this morning.

7:00 am we are out the door. There is some traffic, a little more than normal today. But the kids like the song that is playing on the radio and I hear the youngest two singing along – I’m hearing their little voices and focusing on them rather than the backed up road. Moving slowly now on our way but the sunrise is so beautiful today. Is it always this beautiful? “Kids, you have to look at the sky right now. Isn’t it pretty?”

“Yeah – it looks like cotton candy!”  my 12-year-old daughter says. “It does look like cotton candy,” I say back. It reminds me of the last time we had cotton candy, at a minor league baseball game on a hot Summer day now three months back, but goodness the time has flown by. I’m grateful for that memory, and for the way the sky looks now. I say a prayer of gratitude. I have so much to be thankful for. I get the kids off to school, making sure to tell each one of them that I love them and hope that they have a great day.

8:15 am and I’m a little late getting to my desk because of the bad traffic. Normally the traffic would have driven me insane, but today I’m not letting it bother me. I can still get my work done. I have a lot of emails, but today they aren’t weighing me down.  I am feeling energized by each of them. I am grateful for this work and understand the responsibility given to me is a privilege. I smile as I see some of the emails from the co-workers that I genuinely love. What a gift this work is. What a gift my co-workers are. What a gift it is to serve our clients and to love on them. 

11:00 am comes around. This is my normal lunch break time. I’m choosing a work out this time, and then will eat at my desk. I no longer have a gym membership – it was a budgeting decision to cancel the gym back in the summer. I thought that would be a bigger heartbreak for me than it was . . . I LOVED my gym. But now, my commute to my gym is a walk outside to my garage. It’s terribly convenient and I’ve grown to love it. I turn on my music and get to it – it’s not easy, but it feels good. The endorphins hit and I am reminded of why working out is a priority. I’m giddy – joyful – and feel so accomplished when I am done.

12:00 I finished a forty minute workout, had time for a Navy shower, heated up some yummy leftovers and am now eating lunch at my desk. I feel like I have energy to get through the rest of my day. I’m so thankful that I chose to work out. I say a prayer of gratitude.

The difference

The circumstances of these two mornings are not different. I have the same schedule and the same responsibilities. Every day I have six children to mother and a full time job to do.

The difference with these two mornings is the change in my perspective. This change is all attributed to one thing and it is that I started out my morning with TRUTH.

                                 


Choosing to begin my day with scripture and prayer rather than scrolling social media makes a monumental difference. My whole day is made better when I start it out this way. Not because I am guaranteed less traffic, less parenting hardships or less emails and work – but because my focus is set on Him and I can see everything in a clearer light.

We were created by Him and for Him. When we walk in this truth, every little thing starts to make more sense than before. The world is big, and loud, and has a lot of influences that will pull you away from this truth. The world would rather you constantly frustrated, stressed out, angry, lazy, and negative. But that is not what we were created to be. We were meant for so much more. Certainly we all WANT to feel fulfilled every day, right? There is a very simple solution to reach this fulfillment.

I want to encourage this small change of beginning your day by going to God first. For me, this looks like waking up before my kids have to be up and reading the daily readings and reflections on the Laudate app on my phone. It also includes prayer. For you, maybe you’d like to begin with worship music, or by pulling out your bible and just flipping to a random page. Maybe you just want to start out by talking to God. Venting to Him, even.  I don’t know. But I do know you’ll figure out your way should you really seek a new way of gaining better perspective.

I regret to inform you this is not a one-time task. It has to be done daily. The reason for that goes back to what the world wants to make of you. And the fact that you’re living, walking and breathing in this world every day.

                                                     

Going to God is one of those things that YOU have to initiate. No one else can do it for you, and even God Himself isn’t going to force you. He loves you too much to take away your free will. But He is always, always, ALWAYS there when you seek Him. The truth is that He is with you even now, as you read this. 

I dare you to try and seek Him more. And do it every day. I promise your daily perspective will change too. 


Until next time . . . 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door