Skip to main content

Epiphany


Epiphany (according to Merrium-Webster)

1.       January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church in commemoration of the baptism of Christ

2.       An appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being

3.       A (1): a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something

    (2): an intuitive grasp of reality through something (such as an event) usually simple and striking

    (3): an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure

 B: a revealing scene or moment

 

This morning we attended our regular 10 am Mass at our home parish, St. Patrick’s in Hutto where we celebrated the feast of the Epiphany. This is known to many as “three kings day”, or the day the star led the three wise men to baby Jesus. Our pastor is on a well-deserved vacay, so presiding over Mass was visiting priest Fr. Charles McMillin (also known as Father Mac) who is always a delight.

He mentioned in his homily how we were celebrating the feast of the Epiphany today but that we honestly get to experience an Epiphany every single week during the consecration. Look again at that second definition of Epiphany according to Webster. We get to be present, in real time, as our Lord is made available to us in the Eucharist. (!!!) How quick we are to let distractions water down the significance of what is on the altar, am I right?

I couldn’t help but to feel the weight of this grace as Father Mac reminded me of the miracle of the Mass. I was also feeling the grace of my surroundings in that church building.

I was able to experience some other lovely epiphanies during that Mass and after . . .

One was enjoying the charm of the two babies in my view, one two rows ahead, one four. The blond boy four rows up looked to be around 8 months old with little teeth coming in and deep dimples in each of his cheeks. He was grinning at someone behind him and his smile was contagious. I noticed a sweet floral headband framing the tiny face of a baby girl two rows ahead as she rested on her mother’s shoulder. I thought of a time another priest told us that many lack the emotional intelligence to appreciate the little ones around us. I know the world will shout the burden and inconvenience of children – how grateful I am to attend a church in which they are welcomed and cherished. (Father Mac even mentioned how he loved hearing the little ones after he gave the announcements.) This gratitude for our littlest parishoners illuminated the love that God has for all of us.

Another epiphany was what I felt after meeting a man right before Mass who sat behind us named Jeff. Jeff told us he was at Mass for the first time in 50 years. You read that right – 50 years. He asked for me to pray for the soul of his wife, Shirley, who just passed away. I told him I would pray for her and for him and that I was glad he was back at Mass. What a privilege, I thought, to pray for them both. What a gift I’ve been given to carry these petitions to our Lord! (will you take a quick minute to pray for Jeff and Shirley, too?) This moment, too, and this feeling illuminated again the love that God has for all of us.

The epiphanies continue, friends. These moments of “illuminating discoveries, or realizations.”

I’ve started writing this blog post from the bowling alley as my 11-year-old plays a game with her friends to celebrate her birthday, which was this past week. I brought a little notebook to jot these thoughts down. What a gift to celebrate 11 years of my beautiful third child. What a gift she has in her sweet friends! 

When I dropped off her friends, one of the friend’s mother’s gifted me this little sign.

She said she saw it and thought of me because of my work. I work for a non-profit and we help families in crisis. It’s hard, and the past few weeks have been especially trying. But she gifted me this today and I couldn’t help but realize this was an answer to my own prayer of being reminded that what I do each day is good, and worth it.

Maybe it's obvious by now but I'm feeling lots of joy today. JOY is a grace and it is freely available through Christ. Pray for it and you will see. I have faith that just as the star brought the wise men to Jesus, there will be an area of your life that illuminates where He is for you. 

I pray you feel it BIG today as I am. I pray that you have a wonderful feast of the Epiphany!

 

Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door