Skip to main content

The antidote

 

At our Parish, before Mass, we introduce ourselves to those sitting around us and we ask for their prayer intentions. (I know, I know. This makes so many of us uncomfortable. But this can be really powerful, too. We were made for community and when you really think about this it IS a good thing.)

Yesterday I turned around and met Janet, an elderly woman with a warm smile who I had not met before. Her prayer request was for those who are suffering from loneliness during this holiday season.

I told her that I would pray for that intention during Mass, and I did. Then I went about the rest of my day. This morning after school drop off Janet and her request popped into my mind.  I know that this time of year can be incredibly difficult for those who are lonely.

I said a little silent prayer again for the lonely, and then yesterday’s gospel reading came into my mind.  In case you missed it, the gospel yesterday:

Matthew 25:31-46.

Jesus said to His disciples:

“When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

He will place the sheep on His right and the goats on His left. Then the king will say to those on His right,

‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’

Then the righteous will answer Him and say,

‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?

When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’

And the King will say to them in reply,

‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Then He will say to those on his left,

‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

For I was hungry and you have me no food,

I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,

A stranger and you gave me no welcome,

Naked and you gave me no clothing,

Ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’

Then they will answer and say,

‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’

He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’

And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Okay, so, I’m thinking to myself at this point that there is an obvious correlation here between what I prayed for and this gospel reading. We are to care for those who need it the most. This motivated me to do more than just share these thoughts, so I called my local nursing home and found out about volunteer opportunities for myself and for my children. They would love for us to come and chat with those who cannot leave their rooms, and to paint the nails of some of the ladies,  and to play card games and bingo with some of the residents.  It’s no coincidence that after praying for the lonely, God nudged me to call my local nursing home and find out how we can help. God is answering this prayer and using me to do it. Funny how that works, right?? Maybe this will motivate you to look for ways in which you can serve in your community, too.



I feel like it is pretty clear that we should be helping those who are in need. I also feel that it is super cool that when we do help others we get this warm fuzzy feeling in return. It isn’t about us, but because God created us for community and created us for love, when we are living in that and truly ACTING for others, we in turn get peace. He designs us like that for a reason.  I believe that if anyone reading this right now is lonely, and they turn their attention towards trying to cure someone else’s loneliness, they in return will be cured.

Many are wondering around this world totally lost because they have forgotten who they truly are, and how loved they are, and what they are commanded to do.

Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?”

He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

This is the greatest and the first commandment.

The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

There are loads of problems in the world and so many lonely moments and countless lonely people. You don’t have to look very far to see those.

But there is also an antidote to loneliness and you don’t have to look too far to find Him either. You do have to go towards Him, however. He won’t force you to turn to Him,  because true love is never forced.

Can you imagine what life would be like if we all lived out these two greatest commandments, for real? Isn’t it beautiful to know that you can do this, today? Starting right now?




Until next time . . . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door