Skip to main content

A different kind of workout motivation.

 

Have you ever googled “workout motivation”?

Oh, I have. I sometimes wish that motivation was something I could bottle up and take a big gulp of. I want to WANT to work out, but sometimes I just don’t. Know what I mean?

I want all that comes with exercise. I want to feel good, I want the health benefits and I want to like the way I look in my clothes. I want the stress relief that it promises. The endorphins. I want to BE fit. But, you know, I don’t always want to do what it takes to be fit.

They say motivation doesn’t last, and that’s true. That is why exercise has to become a habit in your life. You have to be disciplined. There is no getting around that. There is no easy button. But, there are some nudges that can be found if we look for them.

I am always inspired by the busiest people I know who are also the most fit. Active moms being one example of this demographic, I wrote about them a while back during the craziness of 2020 (that blog post can be found here http://myonedayisnow.blogspot.com/2020/05/we-do-hard-things-active-moms-share.html)

They shared some awesome inspiration for what keeps them going, and I love what each of them had to say. But I feel there may be even more to this whole physical fitness thing than what we know about it on the surface. Exercise can be spiritual. If I’m being honest, I think that we were made for more than hating our bodies for our entire lives. We were made in God’s image - are we living in this truth?  Goodness, I want to be. Every day. And I have found some motivation to work on being physically fit in the best book ever.

1 Corinthians 6:13

Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, but God will do away with both the one and the other. The body, however, is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body.

* The body is for the Lord! And the Lord is for the body. If you have an able body and CAN go for a walk right now, recognize what a gift that is. And then go walk. Or run. Or swim. You get the drift.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body.

* Honestly, this one could be it and then mic drop. It’s enough to remember that we are commanded to glorify God with our bodies. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. This is a commandment of love. He wants for you to be helping your body and not hurting your body. How are you doing this? Be honest with yourself.

Ephesians 5:29

For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church.

* How are you “nourishing and cherishing” your body?

Romans 12:1

I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship.

* "Holy and pleasing to God" – I thought about this after my little 30 minute You Tube workout today. I am thankful to Him for the ability to move today. I am choosing to thank Him for the gift of an able body by moving it.

1 Corinthians 10:31

So whatever you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

* Everything means everything! Including your physical fitness. Say a prayer asking for the motivation and opportunity to be healthy today. Then give Him thanks after.

Psalm 139:14

I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works!

* He made you so wonderfully. Walk in that truth today and every day.

Isaiah 40:31

They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles’ wings; they will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.

* I know that you are tired. I am too. He will give you rest when you ask for it. He will also give you strength when you ask for it. He made you to be strong. Don’t let the world tell you otherwise because the world is a liar.

Galatians 5:22-23

In contrast, the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

* Another big lie is that we have no self-control. The truth is even without motivation you are capable to get up and do hard things. You can do this because you were gifted self-control. Remember this always!

 


Being active looks different for everyone, but if you haven’t been living an active lifestyle I hope this encourages you to do so today. I haven’t had a gym membership in over a year but I choose to do quick YouTube workouts on my lunch breaks. Feel free to post in the comments what you like to do to remain active. You never know who is looking for a new idea.




Until next time . . . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know you're busy, but this is important

  We just ended a season of little league baseball and softball. Well, regular season ended. We just started All Stars for our youngest. Having multiple kids in sports is B-U-S-Y. We were at the ball fields every night of the week and most of the day each Saturday. The youngest had a few different tournaments, and if you know the softball tournament world you understand that you live at the ball fields those weekends. Games on Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. The baby’s second to last regular season tournament was exhausting. It was a hot weekend, my husband was working nights the first part so I was solo with all of the kids at the fields the first night, and then the second day I was literally at the fields for 9 hours. There was no time for laundry, no time to get ready for school for the week, no time for the rest I desperately wanted. Getting home that night we hardly had the energy for showers before it was time to go to bed. The next day would be a Sunday a

I don’t drink anymore. But nothing has changed! (Except everything.)

Hi, my name is Christy, and I don’t drink. I used to. I used to drink kinda frequently, actually. But now I don’t.   No, I didn’t hit some ‘rock bottom’ moment, like drinking and driving and almost killing myself (or someone else.) I didn’t stop taking care of my responsibilities while drinking. I still woke up and took care of my kids every day. I just decided that it was getting to be too much. I was starting to dislike the way I felt. And I quit. I don’t drink anymore, but nothing has changed. (Except everything.) I used to be the first to say, with a laugh, “I don’t WANT to parent without alcohol!” Parenting is hard. My children are gifts that I thank God for daily, but the work involved with raising them is the hardest work I’ve ever done. ‘Mommy wine’ culture is a thing, and I was all about it. (well, I wasn’t so much a wine girl as a beer girl, but nonetheless I bought all of the 'mommy juice' sentiment that came with drinking.) I would tell myself that I deser

A love story

Once upon a time, a 20-year-old female sailor was almost arrested for violating article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.   What was she doing, you ask?   Well, she was conducting in a nature that would bring discredit to the Navy.   More specifically?   She was drinking under the age of 21.   Even more specifically?   She was drinking a bottle of Bud Light, with approximately 8-10 other young sailors, in a friend’s barracks room. This young girl knew she shouldn’t have been drinking underage.   But she wasn’t very bright, and was not thinking of the consequences of her actions if she were to be caught, so she did it anyway. That evening, a young male sailor on duty (he was a master-at-arms in the Navy, in other words-military police) was patrolling the barracks.   He’ll tell you now, if you ask him, that he was bored and looking for something to do. Well, he found something.   He found the aforementioned girl and her friends, drinking beer at the barracks, door